Listen up! August not only marks back to school time but also National Immunization Awareness Month (NIAM). The timing of these two events is no coincidence. Schools are the prime venue for transmitting vaccine-preventable diseases.
While vaccinations might seem like one more thing you need to add to your lengthy to-do list, be sure to put them at the top: up to date vaccinations are your best defense in preventing harmful diseases from affecting you and your family.
- Vaccines are among the safest and most cost-effective ways to prevent disease.
- Vaccines can protect infants from 14 serious diseases before they turn 2 years old.
- Diseases are only a plane ride away.
- Some vaccines prevent cancer.
- Schools are a prime venue for transmitting vaccine-preventable diseases.
- Vaccines aren’t just for kid – Every year, thousands of adults in the U.S. suffer serious health problems that could be prevented with vaccines.
- Most health insurance plans cover the cost of recommended vaccines.
Source: National Public Health Information Coalition
The good news? August is National Immunization Awareness month – the ideal time to make sure your vaccinations are current. Pin down a time for you and your family to get immunized and ensure year-round health!