This year felt like a roller coaster. But there’s a lot of promise going into 2017. Why? For starters, check out “Google’s Year in Search for 2016.” Then, wrap yourself up with “hygee” — our favorite word of the year, a Danish term for cozy and content — and read a few hopeful stories:
- Remember the Ice Bucket Challenge from 2014? The money raised helped the ALS Association discover a significant gene linked to the disease.
- A solar-powered plane went around the world without landing! We’re changing the way we think about renewable energy and travel.
Sports underdogs coming out on top:
- After 108 years, the curse is over — the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
- Lebron James fulfilled his promise and led the Cleveland Cavaliers to an NBA title.
- English soccer team Leicester City won the Premier League Title. A legendary sports story about a 5000:1 odds triumph, pizza incentive and mighty team spirit.
Nature making a comeback:
- “Tigers are back in the game” after 100 years of decline.
- Giant Pandas and Manatees are officially off the endangered species list.
- India challenged pollution and deforestation by setting a new world record — over 800,000 volunteers planted 50 million trees in one day.
What stories made your heart soar in 2016?